Wednesday, October 27, 2010

This drama is still going on....

"To put it another way, if I am on stage and I make a joke about suicide, and someone in the audience just lost a family member to suicide, I'd certainly feel awful for causing someone a moment of pain. But that person came to a comedy club, where any topic is fair game. And if they really don't like what happened, they can leave. They can ask for their money back. They can even wait in the parking lot to yell at me, if they wish. But however angry they might be with me, the fact remains that they willingly entered that club with the understanding that they might not like what they hear. " -Paul F Tompkins (http://paulftompkins.com/blog_detail.php?id=46)

"Tycho: Hello, this is Tycho Brahe, of Penny Arcade. We recently made a comic strip where an imaginary person was raped imaginarily by a mythological creature whose every limb was an erect phallus. Some found that idea disturbing.
Gabe: We want to state in clear language, without ambiguity or room for interpretation: We hate rapers, and all the rapes they do. Seriously, though. Rapists are really the worst.
Tycho: It's possible you read our cartoon, and became a rapist as a direct result. If you're raping someone right now, stop. Apologize. And leave. Go, and rape no more."
-Penny Arcade

This thing with rape jokes is confusing. Can we not say the word rape without offending someone? Or is it more like we can't describe rape (because that might give someone a flashback) or make light of it? I used to feel this way about suicide/ eating disorder jokes. If a comic just said the word "eating disorder" it didn't really offend me, but if a comic described in detail how it feels (full of self loathing, wanting to disappear etc) that would make me uncomfortable. But I got over it and now I make those jokes more than anyone. Also even when I was more sensitive to that shit it wasn't like I couldn't laugh at it if it was funny. Only nonfunny things could ever offend me.

"Substitute the word "tape"" - The amazing Tim Hammer.
Me: "Isn't she tapeable? Not with that voice."

No comments:

Post a Comment